Pages

Sunday 4 April 2010

Italian in the Exchange

With the Easter long weekend meant another opportunity for me to do a Winnipeg daytrip, and that also meant an opportunity to try a restaurant I had yet to try. This time it was Tre Visi, a contemporary Italian restaurant in the Exchange District. Small, adorned with paintings inspired by Roman mosaics and having friendly staff, Tre Visi had a warm and inviting atmosphere.
I particularly was amused by how direct she suggested dishes I should try when I was waffling between a couple of choices. Without hesitation, she was to the point and appeared quite passionate about her suggestions. With two of my three appetizer choices as well as my two main course choices having matching prices, I knew this wasn't a server who was trying to lure a customer to buy a more expensive menu item.








For starters I had the Gamberetti Genovese. The shrimp was cooked just right, and the creamy pesto sauce, accentuated by sundried tomatoes, did not taste nor feel rich. I would've swept up the remaining sauce with some bread, but the bread tasted too good on its own to be spoiled by other flavours. Tre Visi made its own plum tomato focaccia, and it was soft and moist, not to mention addictive.








For my main course I had the Saltimbocca di Maiale. The slices of pork tenderloin, layered with proscuitto and sage, were tender and the flavouring was not too strong or overpowered by any one of the elements. The white wine butter sauce wasn't heavy, and the roasted herbed vegetables complemented the dish quite well.








Lastly, for dessert, I indulged myself with a Zucotto. This chocolate-hazelnut dessert had a light sweetness to it, and the dark chocolate dome ganache was balanced by the hazelnut mousse beneath the dome.

Tre Visi was an enjoyable experience, and the food was some of the better examples of Italian cuisine I've experienced in a while. Reservations are highly recommended, especially on weekends or before evening shows in the nearby performing arts centres, as this place can only seat ~40-50 diners at a time.

Name: Tre Visi Cucina Italiana
Address: 173 McDermot Ave., Winnipeg, MB
Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
Price Range: ~$20-$50
Accessible: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment