Pages

Monday 29 March 2010

Brunch Leftovers for Lunch









Thrift, thrift, Horatio! the funeral baked meats
Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables.
William Shakespeare, "Hamlet"
Well, one doesn't have to be as cynical as Hamlet when it comes to leftovers.
After I had my big Sunday brunch yesterday, I still had a few leftover ingredients to finish. Cooking almost exclusively for myself, this is not surprising, as some food items come in packages that can be too big to be finished by one person all at once. Of course, that allowed me to be more creative at times where I normally wouldn't have thought of being creative mostly due to time constraints.

Lunch time during the workweek is a good example for me where time is limited. Fortunately, with the items I had, I was able to create something simple yet different from what I typically would have for lunch, not to mention more exciting for the taste buds! For lunch today, it was smoked salmon and basil sandwiches.

My version is simple, minimalist and fairly healthy as the only ingredients involved are smoked salmon, fresh basil and bread. No condiments are necessary as the flavour of the smoked salmon is often sufficient, with the basil providing a gentle, refreshing counter flavour. However, if you wish, you could sparingly add something that goes well with smoked salmon like cream cheese. For bread, I used artisan bread, in this case whole clove garlic bread. I then toasted the 1/2-inch thick slices before adding a layer of rolled up salmon slices with a layer of basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment