Pages

Saturday 11 August 2007

Got Roasted?

Posted by Andrew



















I've been meaning to try making my own batch of rasted vegetables ever since I bought a bottle of balsamic vinegar two months ago. Finally tonight I made myself an opportunity to make some as a side for my pork chop. For the dish I used a bunch of carrots, a medium sized leek, a red onion, two zucchini, about 1.5 lbs. of small new red potatoes, and a whole bulb of garlic (no typo here, a whole bulb of garlic). All the veggies were cut into bite sized pieces, with the exception of the garlic, whose cloves were simply crushed and tossed into the mix, and the potatoes, which were parboiled for ~3min. before being cut to pieces. To flavour the veggies I drizzled some olive oil and (generously) balsamic vinegar and sprinkled some coarse salt and pepper. Having preheated the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit I let them cook for 45min.

Only halway through the cooking process did I realize I forgot to mix some herbs to the veggies; I'll have to try adding rosemary next time around. When the veggies were done they looked nice, but upon closer inspection and tasting I knew my first time wasn't a complete success. On top of the lack of herbs, apparently I didn't add enough salt. Worse still, though the upper layers looked fine, the bottom of the pan had crusted and almost burnt, most likely due to not enough oil. Oh well, at least I have something to go on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment