I call this dish less conventional since white asparagus isn't traditionally identified with a curry dish, and I've associated only green asparagus with stir-fried dishes, such as my Mom's Stir-Fried Asparagus with Shrimp and Garlic which I do make occasionally as well. I've discovered that, aside from the obvious colour, the differences of white asparagus from green asparagus are as follows:
- White asparagus has a slightly bitter undertone;
- It has a more fibrous texture; and
- It is more brittle across the entire length, whereas green asparagus is tougher and more brittle at the lower ends of the stems.
One (1) bunch white asparagus, cut diagonally into ~7-10cm lengths
~200g white mushrooms, sliced
12-16 shrimp, thawed and shelled
~15-30mL green curry paste
~15mL corn starch
- Mix shrimp with corn starch, a splash of cooking wine, pepper and some cooking oil, and set aside.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat. Add oil, mushrooms, asparagus and a pinch of salt, and stir-fry for ~4 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid, add shrimp and curry paste, toss and let cook covered until shrimp is fully cooked.
- Remove lid, add basil and toss. Remove from heat and serve.