- Mom and Dad would prepare the pork-and-vegetable filling, sometimes a couple of days in advance;
- Dad would prepare the dough for the wrappers;
- I would flatten and cut the dough to create the wrappers;
- Mom and sis would fill the wrappers and shape the dumplings; and
- Dad would pan-fry the dumplings that evening for dinner, with the majority rest of the raw dumplings storedi n the freezer for future use.
Though I didn't raise the idea of having jiaozi during my stay in Ottawa, my mother thought we should have some partly since the whole family was already here and partly since jiaozi is also a traditional Chinese New Year food (on top of being a northern Chinese staple). With Chinese New Year in 2011 being on February 3, meaning my sister and I would be unable to be together with our parents, it made sense to make and eat some on our Gregorian calendar's New Year while our family was still together. This time, however, with my sister having cooked a feast on New Year's Eve, she was given a break from helping out.