Pages

Saturday 5 April 2008

Egg-static!

Posted by Andrew


















Yes, it's probably hard to believe, but until last night I've never made a frittata, or at least a proper one, beforehand. Oh well, as one saying goes, "better late than never!"

With that in mind I'd picked up some chorizo sausages a week or two ago to put in the frittata, amongst other ingredients. For this one I made last night, I also added sliced mushrooms, half a red onion, baby spinach leaves, shredded mozzarella and grated parmegiano (~1 cup each of both cheeses). With a 12" cast iron pan in hand, I went with eight large eggs, beaten and mixed with a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper mixed into it. After sauteing the mushrooms and onions over medium heat I finished cooking the slices of two chorizo sausages that I'd just parboiled earlier. Once the chorizo slices were cooked through, I added most of the spinach, letting them begin to wilt before I poured the eggs in the pan, adding most of the mozzarella and some of the parmegiano as well. As suggested by Bonita I folded the egg mixture occasionally as it slowly began to set to help give it a fluffier texture, but the folding also helped in the mixing of the ingredients into a more even consistency.

With the egg mixture almost set I popped the pan off the stove, sprinkled the remaining spinach and cheeses on top and put it under the broiler for a few minutes to finish things off.

For a first time attempt, this was a success, and I was giddy as a schoolboy after I took the first bite. The chorizo gave a nice kick to the frittata, complemented by the natural sweetness of the onion and mushrooms. I could perhaps add a bit more spinach next time, and definitely herbs are in order, such as basil. No worries... I intend on making a Chorizo, Mushroom and Spinach Frittata for my colleagues at the upcoming pot luck. Oh man, with the dishes I make for the pot lucks at work, am I spoiling them rotten or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment