Pages

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Trick...or rather, treat

Posted by Bonita

Yes, it's that time of the year again where we have a good excuse to stuff ourselves silly with all things sugar and not feel guilty about it. I used to love Halloween as a child; it was definitely my favourite "holiday" after Christmas. I still love it now, although it saddens me that I never have the time now to put together a costume.

oct31_01

I did find some time though to bake some treats for my friends. To keep with the Halloween theme, I wanted to use candies in my treats. I found this recipe for Chocolate Caramel Pecan Thumbprints, which called for those oh-so-delicious soft caramels. I used bittersweet chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate, since that was what I had on hand; however, I kept the sugar the same since I was pretty sure the sweetness of the caramel would make up for it.

oct31_02

A bit time-consuming to put together, but they turned out really lovely. I loved the smell of these cookies while they were baking; the chocolatey-ness with the nuttiness of the pecans as they toasted in the baking-process was very nice. And look at that caramel filling practically oozing out of the cookies... How can you resist not having one? Happy Halloween everyone!

1 comment:

  1. We had heard a bit of a build-up about the Silver Spoon (fresh ingredients, a foodie's delight, good value), but nothing prepared us for the actual experience. And was it an experience!

    ReplyDelete