Pages

Thursday 17 May 2007

Childhood Memories

Posted by Bonita

may17_05

One of my first memories of being in the kitchen when I was young was helping my mom out on the weekends, wrapping wontons or Chinese dumplings (also known as potstickers). Years later, the tradition still stands, and it's one of my favourite activities, to spend some time in the kitchen with my mom and wrap dumplings. My mom makes everything from scratch, from the dumpling filling to the actual dough itself, which makes them taste a million times better. There are two types of filling we often make in my home: the usual ground pork with Napa cabbage, or ground pork in Chinese chives during the spring and summer, making full use of the Chinese chives that grows outside in our garden. Both fillings are just as delicious! My mom and I wrapped some dumplings this morning so that we can freeze them and have them on hand. Here's a preview of the dumplings, but since we're having them for dinner tomorrow, I'll say more about them later!

may17_01

Tonight, my mom made spareribs for dinner (yummy!) while I made tomato and basil linguine as a sidedish. It's really simple to make. While you cook your pasta, mince some garlic, chop some tomatoes and some fresh basil leaves. Heat some olive oil, throw in your garlic and stir it around for about 30 seconds before tossing in the tomatoes. Let it cook for a bit, then toss in the cooked pasta (if the sauce is too dry, spoon in some of the pasta water). Toss in the basil and voilĂ !

No comments:

Post a Comment